Friday 27 February 2009

THIS WEEK EVERYONE’S TALKING ABOUT… EASTENDERS BEING COY ABOUT ITS ALL FIRST BLACK SHOW

What’s your opinion on this? Do you think the BBC was wrong to not promote Tuesday’s episode to feature an ‘all black cast?’ I must say, I happened to miss this one as I was busy bathing boss lady. Had I read about it prior in the newspapers, I would have definitely made sure I was free to watch it. (No worries, I’ll see it on the omnibus on Sunday)…
I think people should stop shouting their mouths off at the BBC as I believe their bosses were just scared of what else would be said, had they heavily promoted it… the likes of The Sun, Daily Star, Daily Mail would be kicking off saying ‘why they felt the need to promote an episode with just blacks in it’… yada, yada… it’s just another form of segregation… yada, yada. If you think about it, I suppose it was better for them to just be safe and keep quiet not highlighting a thing and just making sure they did a good job in tackling the delicate issue of racism.

However, as someone who works in the PR industry, there are many ways in which they could have taken the a positive route to promote this within mainstream press. For instance, this week saw the tenth anniversary of Sir William Machpherson’s report into the death of Stephen Lawrence. If I was head of PR for BBC, I would have developed the strategy of selling in features which combined the two; the first episode of the long running soap to feature an all black cast and the 10th anniversary of the report... how times have changed? Or have they? There are several different angles they could have pulled from this surely?


Regardless of those who were unhappy with the BBC’s inactions, apparently the show was ‘spot on’ in dealing with today’s racism issues, so if anything ‘well done’ for this BBC.

No comments: