Friday 20 February 2009

NEWS FROM BACK HOME … GOVERNMENT TO STAMP OUT DRUG TRAFFICKING IN GHANA

It was reported President John Evans Atta Mills, said on Thursday the government aimed to create a more potent drug enforcement agency that would collaborate more effectively with international drug enforcement agencies to arrest and prosecute offenders. He went onto say the Narcotics Drugs Control, Enforcement and Sanctions Law of 1990 would be reviewed to reaffirm government's commitment to stamp out drug trafficking through and from the country. "We will bring to closure investigations into the numerous high profile drug trafficking cases of recent years and bring to book all those involved," President Mills was delivering his first State of the Nation Address to Parliament in fulfillment of the 1992 Constitutional requirements.

Why anyone would contemplate drug trafficking in the first place is beyond me. To agree to participate in this crime and then agree to do so in an African country is just stupid! Surely you have a few screws loose if the fear of what the African officials/jail officers will do to you alone isn’t enough for you to say “thanks, but no thanks”. To be honest, I have enough fear to keep me away from such criminal acts, with the thought of what my parents would do to me. I can just hear my mother now “You – come – and – bring – shame – on – this – family! You – will – see – what – I – will – do – for – you!” Obviously she is beating me with some type of apparatus whilst screaming this at me. Yes, I’m soon to turn thirty, but you’re never too old for beatings from the parents, especially if you’ve brought shame on the family. I’m confident to know I’m not alone on this one!

No comments: