Friday 15 May 2009

THIS WEEK EVERYONE’S TALKING ABOUT… i-D MAGAZINE SCALING TO SIX ISSUES A YEAR


It’s seems yet another publication is in trouble due to the current economic climate. Style bible, i-D announced this week that its cutting back its editions and will publish six times a year starting from September.
The magazine, which always features a model with one eye closed or covered on its cover, a visual pun on the title, said instead of folding like many of the other magazines have done (Emap closed the Face back in 2004), it is attempting to protect its 30 year heritage.

Out of all the style magazines, I think i-D is one of my favourites. I have no time for LOVE, the new style bible offering from Conde Nast, as when I made my trip to my local WHSMITHS to purchase the debut issue which featured Beth Ditto completely naked on the cover, I was immediately put off by the first two hundred plus pages being full of adverts. If I remember rightly, the contents page featured on page one hundred and something… utter joke. Then there’s Bauer Media’s next issue of style biannual Pop, which has been pushed to Autumn/Winter… So, whilst it has been and continues to be tough out their for publications houses to keep their ‘bread and butter’ a float, I can say I’m glad i-D is here and here to stay.

No comments: