Friday 29 May 2009

I’VE GOT MY EYE ON YOU… ASA


You may sense me becoming a little patriotic in this post as well as my previous ‘I’ve Got My Eye on You’ post and you would be right in thinking so. I believe it can’t be helped as I’ve been discovering some fantastic Nigerian talent which needs to be shared with you all. You don’t have to be ‘African’ to appreciate these artists, as they’re sounds are so melodic you naturally find yourself moving to the beat, fully taking in each bar of the tunes regardless if your hair is naturally afro or flowing with blond locks.

Anyhow I digress… this week its all about Nigerian songstress ‘Asa’. Born in Paris and moved to Lagos, Nigeria with her family when she was two years old, Asa is a singer, songwriter and in my eyes a truly under rated talent.

She’s actually had a UK top ten hit with her track ‘Fire on a Mountain top’ (not that I remember it being one) and had a Mobo nomination in 2008 so I suppose that is the start of a wonderful music career, however as her debut album is one I’ve had on repeat on my ipod for a while now I’m irritated she’s not MORE well known. (Sorry I’m only blogging about her now)…

I’d say she’s like a modern day Tracey Chapman, with a hint of Ms Hill and a pinch of Ms Badu. You can listen to snippets of the track from her official website http://www.asa-official.com/ – check out track 3, Bi’ ban ke… a beautiful love song. Love the way she mixes English with Yoruba too.

Anyway, I’ve gushed enough about Asa, check out the video for ‘Fire on a Mountain top’ below


No comments: