Friday 9 January 2009

TREND WATCH: HAREM PANTS

Last Spring Summer they graced high street stores. One fashion year later and they’re back…
I loved them then and I love them now. They’re not for everyone granted (kind of like marmite) however; I just love how they look on. Ok, take note ladies. I said ‘I liked how they look on’ and I didn’t mention ‘how they looked on me’. I’m 5’2 (ok, 5’1 and a bit), so wearing trousers which resemble the Mc Hammer look in the hit track ‘Can’t Touch This’ with my height (or lack of) doesn’t shout I’ll be able to do them justice.

According to the fashionista’s at Vogue, Harem pants should be worn following the below strict instructions:

- Perfect for any woman with a slim top half – the voluminous silhouette of the trousers will level the playing field below the waist (‘Count me out then, I’m a 34 GG’)
- Define a waist by always tucking in tops (‘Yep, everyone he loves fashion knows this)
- Make the most of the season’s elaborate, waisted belts and use your midriff as a staging ground for adornment (‘Easy peesy’)
- For the most flattering shape, keep it tight on top; a camisole top or tailored jacket is perfect (‘Yep, go on…’)
- If opting for volume on top as well as on the legs, be sure to always keep the waist cinched (‘ I have purchased many a belts to achieve this look’)
- Heels should be one thing: high (‘I wouldn’t have it any other way’)

Ok, so I only fall short on 1 out of 6, but still I’ve witnessed a short chick ‘attempt’ (I repeat, ‘attempt’) to wear harem pants and if I knew her, I would have let her know I’d be happy to give her a lift home to change – even if she had only just arrived at the bar.
For those who want to have a go, ASOS do a great pair which come in black and khaki for £20 (see picture above) or if you’ve got some cash to splash, try Ginger & Smart for their cotton mix version for £260.

No comments: