Friday 23 January 2009

THIS WEEK EVERYONE’S TALKING ABOUT… OBAMA: INAUGURATION

Ok, you didn’t think I was going to gloss over this in my intro did you? Come on… this was history in the making, a whole section of the Fierce List is required to cover this – I know you agree with me.

So let’s start of with the first sight viewers and revellers got to see of Obama walking down the stairs of the Capitol Building, pre pledging his oath. The overwhelming look of joy was so touching to see right? I was totally taken in with him and was so happy I was able to witness the first steps of his incredible journey to becoming the President of the United States.


Secondly, the beautiful grin beaming from his face, as he stood up beside his wife to recite the 35 word oath. Even when Chief Justice John Roberts stumbled on the words, President Barack Obama, patiently waited until Roberts corrected himself to which he continued to recite the oath. However according to many reports, they say that President Obama (oooh how I love saying this…), made the error which is highly irritating as I’m sure this wasn’t the case. Any how… he’s the President – who cares!


Thirdly, the speech… If I’m honest (and not that I’m particularly ashamed), I don’t remember former President George Bush’s inauguration, however President Obama’s is one that I will probably remember forever.


I’m not big on speeches, however I’m sure many historians will remember President Obama’s speech as a memorable one. One which was well delivered and did what it was suppose to do; an attempt to pull the Democratic party towards the political centre as well as a call to the United States to rise and fight its current troubles. However, what made it special for me and also made me gutted I wasn’t present in Washington DC to witness the inauguration myself, was the fact that I wanted to be part of history and say that I witnessed the first African American president enter the White House with my own two big eyes… plain and simple. Who knows if this will be something that will happen again in our lifetime? The words from his speech that I would have rejoiced at, should I have been in Washington was when he said “… a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath.” Do you remember how you felt after he said this? Do you remember how the crowed roared after he said this? Well, you can’t blame them… Such a beautiful moment, that will stay with me as long as I live.


Fourthly, President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and Malia and Sasha looking like a beautiful, beautiful family. I love the fact there is a black family in politics that black people can look up to and be nothing but proud of. (Rev Run, don’t worry, I still love you and your family!)


Fifthly, First Lady Michelle Obama’s inaugural ball dress by designer Jason Wu – she looked truly stunning. Oh and I forgot to mention the outfits for the Malia and Sasha too, best looking daughters of a President I’ve ever seen.


Finally, President Obama asking his wife and First Lady for the “At Last” dance of the inauguration day whilst listening to the soulful voice of Beyonce. The sight was truly beautiful. Plus Mr President can move... and has ‘bare’ lyrics! She how he got his ‘mac’ on with his wife in the video below.



No comments: