Friday 27 March 2009

THE LAST WORD… MTV BASE SCREENING OF ANGIE LE MAR'S PLAY, THE BROTHERS

Angie Le Mar with the cast of the Brothers

This post will be extremely short as I have nothing much to say on the matter other than, I didn’t like what I watched. I decided to tune in and watch the first two installments of the programme on Tuesday, after listening to one of the DJ's from Angie's old employer Choice FM, saying it was a 'must see'. After watching the first part, I was lead to believe that Hackney Empire and Catford Theatre would allow any playwright show their play (no matter how bad it actually is) and then be lucky enough to then have it aired on television on MTV Base.


Don’t get me wrong I respect Angie Le Mar for what she has achieved; heaven knows she’s grafted, as she’s been in the industry since I was in school. Does anyone remember the comedy show ‘Blouse ‘n’ Skirt? If so, then you’ll remember Angie used to be a regular on this and she was funny and back then I respected her; she was one of few female comedians (along with Gina Yashere) on the show. Anyhow I digress, I just thought the play wasn’t gripping, funny (there were probably two decent gags). Also with the Choice FM DJ’s praising it confirming it was to be shown on TV, lead those listening to believe it had been remade for the screen. Well how wrong were we? The MTV version was just a recording of what they showed at the theatre! Considering I actually went to watch the theatre to watch it and didn’t rate it then, it was a let down to know I would just be watching what I had already seen.


I heard Richard Blackwood saying on his radio show last Saturday, ‘Angie Le Mar is doing big things. She’s out in LA writing with Tyler Perry’. I only hope this time she comes back with something decent, as believe it or not, I am actually a fan. To watch the remaining part of the show, tune into MTV Base on tonight (Friday) at 10.30pm.

Till next week.
xxx

No comments: